Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Birmingham Photographer | Shooting for the goal

I met a sweet sweet family a few years ago and I never imagined how they would change my life. I usually hear a touching or inspiring story, think about it for a minute, maybe pray a time or two for them, and move on. Well, this family, I can't get out of my mind. I met Jennifer several years ago and have been photographing her children ever since. Along the way, I met her wonderful husband, her lovely mother and her sister who is just as sweet as she is. Kara, her sister, and her husband, Jason have struggled with infertility for a while and had 2 unsuccessful rounds of IVF in the process. Just recently, God has brought this opportunity to adopt a precious little boy who will be born in November. I was reading Kara's blog and she created an account for people to donate to since so many people have told her that they feel led to help in some way or another. I sat here, yelled to Damon, and asked him if I should contribute and he says yes, of course. We live comfortably but I knew I couldn't shoulder much of this burden for them, so I added a measly $10.00 to the account. That night I got in bed and was praying for them and praying to God to help me find a way to help more because I felt so strongly about this. I still have no idea why, but I do. Anyway, I was laying there thinking and I had an idea. While I can't contribute a ton of cash, I can still help. My idea was to host a portrait party for all the families that want to help and the proceeds of the sale go to Kara and Jason as they shoulder the expenses (that are insanely expensive) of this adoption. First thing the next morning, I got up to email Jennifer and run it by her before I mentioned it to Kara. As I was emailing Jennifer I received an email of thanks from Kara for the measly donation and I knew I was doing the right thing. Jennifer was ecstatic and so thankful that I had offered. Fast forward a little while, we work out the details and present it to Kara. She was humbled and grateful for my offer. I can't wait to meet all these families that love Kara and Jason so much and give them portraits to remember how precious their children are. I hope you will visit their blog (www.theoliversjourney.blogspot.com) and offer kind words of encouragement to them in the upcoming months while they wait for their precious son to be born and brought home to the Olivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment